Humans Share Over 50% Of Their DNA With Bananas! fact

people are half banana

Is that a banana in your genes? We often assume humans are too different from plants to share significant genetic material. The surprising truth is that humans share around 50% of their DNA with bananas. What does this mean, and how can it be possible?

Fact Check

The 50% figure can be traced back to a study by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) and is confirmed by other credible sources, such as the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
According to the NHGRI, humans and bananas share about 50% of their genes, the specific DNA segments that code for proteins. It’s important to note that sharing 50% of genes doesn’t mean that humans are half bananas, but rather that there is a significant genetic overlap between the two species.

Are We Bananas?

The fact that humans share DNA with bananas might seem counterintuitive, but it makes sense when we consider the concept of common ancestry. All living organisms on Earth share a common ancestor, meaning they also share some basic genetic building blocks.

Over time, through evolution, different species have developed their unique traits and characteristics. However, certain fundamental genetic elements, including humans and bananas, have been preserved across species. These shared genes often play essential roles in basic cellular functions, such as DNA replication, gene expression, and metabolism.

So, while it may be a surprising revelation, it is indeed a fact that humans share around 50% of their DNA with bananas. This finding highlights the interconnectedness of life on Earth and helps us better understand the complex tapestry of genetics and evolution.


The claim that humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas is valid, as confirmed by research from the NHGRI and other credible sources. This information underlines the unity of life on Earth and reminds us of the intricate connections between all living organisms. By understanding these genetic relationships, we can realize our shared ancestry and the incredible complexity of life.


Avatar photo

Author: Walt Whitney

Walt Whitney is the co-founder of Dog Media Solutions. He is our head editor and is, along with his other founder Thomas DeMichele behind many popular websites, including,,...

Leave a comment

Your Vote: Click Your Vote

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

reasons-to-believe Doesn't beleive this myth.

well, the scientists compared gene-products, i.e. proteins (they conducted about 4 million comparisons and found 7,000 matches, the 40-50% are based just on those matches). Only about 2% of the human DNA encode proteins (the other 98% was once thought to be ‘junk’ but that’s no longer the case, there is mounting evidence that the non-coding DNA has important functions as well), so humans share only max 1% of their DNA with bananas. Sorry guys ๐Ÿ˜‰