Facts About Jesus, the Muslim Profit (Yes, that Jesus)
In other words, Jesus is a central figure in the Quran, and the Islamic faith not only believes in Jesus but generally reveres him.
Here are some Muslim Jesus facts (with the help of Wikipedia and other sources, see the citations):
- The Quran, the central religious text of Islam, contains references to more than fifty people and events also found in the Bible. Figures mentioned include Jesus, Adam, Moses, and Mary.
- The term Muslim means “one who submits to the will of God,” thus those who follow Islam are Muslims, and to Islam, Jesus was a Muslim.
- Jesus is believed to be a prophet.
- In the Quaran, Jesus wasn’t married and had no children.
- Mention of Jesus is found in the Quran in 93 ayaat (Arabic for verses) under titles such as “Son of Mary,” “Word of God,” “Spirit of God,” and “Jesus Christ” (although as noted below, mainstream Islam teaches he was a prophet, not a deity).
- Jesus is mentioned directly and indirectly, over 187 times in the Quran.
- In fact, as noted, Jesus is the most mentioned person in the Quran. He is mentioned 25 times by the name Isa, third-person 48 times, first-person 35 times, and the rest as titles and attributes.
- The name “Ahmad” means “one who would follow Jesus…
- There is apparently some debate as to exact status of Jesus, generally though, Islam traditionally teaches the rejection of Jesus’ divinity, that Jesus was not God incarnate, that Jesus is not the Son of God, and that the crucifixion, death, resurrection, and ascension did not occur.
- Despite the last point, the mainstream Muslim belief is that Jesus did not physically die, but was instead raised alive to heaven.
- Jesus preforms miracles in the Quran, just like he does in the Christian Bible.
- Mariam (AKA Mary, Jesus’s mother) is the only woman mentioned in the Quran.
Jesus in the Quran ( “The Message”-Movie-DAWAH).
“We gave Moses the Scripture, and sent a succession of messengers after him. And We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, and We supported him with the Holy Spirit. Is it that whenever a messenger comes to you with anything your souls do not desire, you grew arrogant, calling some impostors, and killing others?” – The Quran (click the link and do a “command find” for the word “Jesus”).
Jesus In Islam.